MELVILLE, N.Y., August 27, 2018 – erwin, Inc., the data governance company, today announced its acquisition of metadata management and data governance provider AnalytiX DS (ADS), enhancing the company’s EDGE Data Governance Platform with the broadest set of metadata connectors and automated code generation, data mapping and cataloging tools. This strategic move makes erwin one of the industry’s only software providers to own every critical piece of the data management and data governance lifecycle, designed to enable every stakeholder – from data scientists, enterprise architects and business analysts to the C-suite – to accelerate the transformation of data into accurate and actionable business insights.
“We continue to disrupt the data governance market with new thinking and real innovation, driven by what our customers need most – connectivity to a wide array of data sources and automated data mapping and data lineage for more effective and efficient data preparation, modeling and governance,” explains erwin CEO Adam Famularo. “Given our history and expertise with a significant global user base, we are uniquely positioned to help organizations transform their data management and governance initiatives with an automated, high-quality data pipeline for faster time-to-value than any competitor in our market.”
Analyst firm Forrester agrees that organizations must speed up their time to data-driven insights in all areas to be competitive. They indicate that doing this “requires cutting overhead and inefficiencies from traditional data management timelines and, most important, driving insights to actions that have significant business impact.” ¹
Large enterprises use thousands of unharvested, undocumented databases, applications, ETL processes and procedural code that make it difficult to gather business intelligence, conduct IT audits and ensure regulatory compliance. Cataloging and documenting operational systems, processes and the associated data at rest and in motion has been a time-consuming, manual effort that introduces errors and data quality issues without providing the necessary real-time intelligence.
“Organizations need to know what data they have and where it’s located, plus understand what it means in common, standardized terms so it can be transformed into useful information they can act on – all while controlling its access,” says Famularo. “Unlike any other player in today’s data governance market, the combination of erwin and ADS delivers a single, integrated solution that simplifies the total enterprise data management and governance lifecycle, including facilitating collaboration between both IT and business users.”
The ADS acquisition enhances the persona-based erwin EDGE data governance platform with the following new features:
- Automated metadata harvesting and cataloging from more than 80data sources, including Big Data, BI reports, modeling tools, relational data and data from many other types of business and IT systems.
- Intelligent data discovery, including automated tagging and governance of sensitive data (e.g., GDPR and HIPAA)
- Mapping of source-to-target systems to show lineage and transformation of data across the enterprise
- Automatic integration and visualization of mappings between data models
- Auto documentation and reverse-engineering of existing ETL processes and code
- Automated code generation for data integration and data movement initiatives
- Impact analysis to show links from physical assets to business representations
- Lifecycle management capabilities, including requirements management, testing, release management and version control for enterprise usage and tracking
- Automated linkage and synchronization with core data governance capabilities
“erwin and ADS are focused on helping organizations answer the tough questions of “what data and where,” so they can make better strategic decisions,” concludes Famularo. “The combined company will help customers create comprehensive and collaborative data governance experiences with the automation needed to sustain these initiatives with greater agility, efficiency and cost-effectiveness.”
¹ The Forrester Wave™: Data Preparation Tools, Q1 2017